4 March 2018

[Tech] Table-mounted Jigsaw



I don't need a bandsaw now! If there was a power tool I've always wanted, it was a bandsaw. To have what would be the general cutting tool of the household, I could easily get into crafting things beyond just foam and small pieces of wood. I've seen people mount their rotary tools to wooden mechanisms they've built themselves, and this got me thinking about mounting jigsaws. People have found way to screw their jigsaw base to a wooden board, but unfortunately for mine, this is not an option. So the workaround I've decided on involves securing it into a slot I made and locking it into place. Unwilling to spend moolah to build this, I've managed to put together a system using wood and screws.


Watch the video to see it in action.

A video I watched previously assembled legs and a base piece which could be clamped down to a table. This assumes that this setup will be portable and will depend on a larger table.



I was planning on doing the same, but before I did, I ran a brief safety test of how stable the jigsaw operates in its current state. This was possible by using two folding chairs as its legs. As sketchy as it sounds, I could see myself continuing to use the saw this way. It keeps the finished product small enough for easy storage, and the saw doesn't cause enough vibration that I absolutely need to clamp it down to something more stationary.



While it's unfortunate that the blade will be rather short and the that the blade will have a tendency to bend during use in this setup, it shouldn't be too bad as I will likely only be working at a small scale anyway.



Thanks to having an electric saw, cutting out these shapes have saved me a ton of time.