4 March 2018

[Tech] 15-Piece File Set Holder



I haven't made a post about it yet, but I'm going to get into a project of crafting scale models of fictional weapons, with the outlook of turning it into a small business (screw custom Hot Wheels). Without sufficient tools to make metalworking easy, I'm taking first steps with wood instead. So to make my life easier, I've stocked up on a whole set of files I'll be depending on regularly, but there was one thing that bothers me: it doesn't come with a storage container of sorts! What ever shall I do?!



By coincidence, I thought of using this old beer glass I stopped using for years. It's tall enough to hold every piece. I could toss everything in here- no sweat..... but what if I could have something to hold the shorter files? One thing led to another, and here we have a beer glass with enough cable ties glued on to hold every single piece 'cause I just looooove making storage solutions. Now normally when I make things for practical use, aesthetics is not a priority, it's a tool that will receive wear and tear through use, so why make it look pretty at the risk of defacing it? Under these circumstances, it's not a priority- shit, it's almost mandatory to leave it out! But I decided otherwise just this time.



Thought of blocking out the unsightly hot glue and wires by painting the outside. I decided it may be helpful in leaving the bottom half as-is so you can browse for the file you need without having to pull out each one. Also doing a fade makes it look fancier.



What's really cool is that this idea came to me on the spur of the moment and I finished it in less than an hour. Love quick projects like these!