28 October 2013

[Tech] Pillow Speakers Rig

Always thought the idea of listening to calming music while in bed would be an enjoyable experience just before falling asleep. Only problem personally was that headphones prevented me from turning my head or sleeping on my side, and the fact that something is pressing into your skull is already uncomfortable as it is. So I've thought about having a rig that would hold up speakers for me for years, but I haven't had the knowledge or materials to come up with a way to achieve this.

Just recently, I've found some fantastic music from the Space Brothers (Uchuu Kyoudai) and Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (Suisei no Gargantia) soundtrack CDs. As both of these shows are set on the discovery of new world, outer space and a new planet/civilization respectively, the overall theme of the music aims to evoke that atmosphere of a breath-taking discovery, arriving at a new part of the world or galaxy you've never seen before, blown away at the scenery so beautiful it brings a tear to your eye. Well, that's how I interpret this type of music–a genre which I'm unsure of. Contemporary Classical maybe? I suggest giving those a try.


That aside here it is:



Glad to know there is a heatgun in this household! The idea here is that the rig will have adjustable arms that hold the speakers in place, while attached to a base which the pillow will rest on top of. The base is a piece of masonite and the arms are 1/16" styrene, all scrap material I have lying around. The part that is fixed to the base has been bent using a heatgun and a series of holes has been drilled through at the top to accommodate various pillow sizes.







Here is how it looks with a pillow in place. Unfortunately I didn't have and wing nuts on hand before hitting the hay, but if this works out after a week's testing, I'll have to consider purchasing some to make adjusting the arms less painful on the fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment