15 October 2013

[Customs] Making Quick Work pt.1

There are several WIPs that have found its way on my desk cutting in "line" in front of hundreds other cars that have been waiting patiently in a box for their turn.

However in an attempt to clean up my desk, these will need to make its way out as well, thus completing them is one of the ideal solution.












With the casting already blacklisted, this was not one I could simply throw into the collection. It needed something different. The result was fabricated on the spot. The wheels were taken off a 2013 Retro Entertainment Footloose VW Beetle. I was expecting size-2 wheels in the back since previous models were like that. Since it didn't, I pulled tires off a Greenlight Sarah Fisher Indy race car and stuck them on this. Something other than Firestone would've worked better with the other brands stuck on the body in my opinion, but that's as good as it gets. Skinny tires in front would've been great too, but again, I'm limited on high-end variety.







Shiniest finish yet. Shinier than the Dream Cruisers Porsche Boxster. I got myself a can of acrylic enamel (whatever that implies), and the paint has not given me any trouble. It cured into a hard finish in a few days, lightly sanded with 1000 grit, applied polishing compound, spray detailer and spray wax to finish it. The procedure for a better finish is being worked on and this project helped me develop it even further.

Wheels were done in with the Sharpies because they portray a more accurate finish of the stock alloys found on real cars than the chrome finish of Hot Wheels. The headlights were done in with the Gundam marker after a layer of silver Testors enamel.













As for the diorama photos, I played with the camera's colour balance. Instead of doing shade, I tried tungsten. The tungsten setting gives off a more blue-bias filter, and miraculously enough it countered the strong yellow light from the same lamp I used previously. Tweaking it further on Photoshop turned out to be less of a hassle, though I can still see improvements can be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment