29 August 2013

[Customs] Better Time Management Necessary - Wheelswaps Inbound

Keeping focus is one thing, but juggling numerous tasks and attending to higher priority events makes that challenging.

The month is nearing its end. I've had the majority of August spent at work, going out with visiting relatives outside the country, attending funerals and religious rites, and the basement has yet to be fixed. As a result, almost all work on customs or anything has come to a halt. School starts in a week so activity will come to a snail's pace once again. Regrets aside, I was digging through my box of customs en queue a few days earlier to check on something, saw that 2013 release of green Carrera GT had been sitting there for months. All I wanted to do was a simple wheelswap which takes relatively no time and just that thought alone made me realize how much time was wasted over the summer. Not wanting to waste any more time, I took it out with the determination to get it done. I also took the liberty to pull out some other cars that have been sitting in queue for the Illustrious and (have yet to release) Rally series.

Since contractors boxed up all my tools in the basement, I won't have access to all the equipment I need for an all-out project, thus I kept it simple and aimed for wheelswaps only.






Those coloured tires had to go. It's nice to change things up, Mattel, but at least put some effort into it.



Grills coloured in. Never have I had such an easy time with the gundam marker. That's yucky sticky clear coat finish I use on my customs makes the marker work unenjoyable.






Nothing sophisticated with the interior. The yellow tinted windows weren't going to show much anyway.










Inevitably, I choose MBX 5-spokes over PR5s since they look more closer to the real wheels of the Carrera GT. Not only that, PR5s, while looking cooler, don't have that same level of simple elegance the former possesses. Usually they look plain-jane, but not on this guy. Think I could've got away with a coloured bonnet given how wacky of a colour bright green is on a Porsche of this class.




Ducts and vents have been coloured in with ease once again.


Better than nothing, though will probably be unnoticeable in a completed state.






2012 Heat Fleet Lancers join the party. Swapped windshields with each other on top of the wheels.










Detailing is still messy, but I'm becoming more comfortable with it.





Was contemplating between the CM6 and 10SP. They both look great on it, but I can't seem to enjoy the look of CM6s on a whole lot of cars. The Lancer happened to work quite nicely. The Speed Machines version had an influence on my decision.







3 comments:

  1. Always enjoy your inspirational work. I have a couple of quick questions: What do you recommend for reassembling - screws or rivets and what size?

    Also, what was your motivation for initiating the 'Illustrious' series?
    Thank you everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can, do screws. You'll also need a tap. I believe the popular size is 3/32". However, I don't use it because I've never sought to go and grab my own. For now, I still use super glue to close things up.

      As for the motivation? A recognizable colour scheme. My primary source to exposing my work is through The Lamley Group - the blog that got me making my own. With so many customizers out there, I wanted to have works that would be recognized easily in the long-run. I'm sure you've been through an experience where you are searching for stuff or browsing through pages of interest, you see a particular brand/logo/or appearance and it instantly makes you recall something? For example, if I described to you a fast-looking red car... I'll bet one of your first guesses would've been a Ferrari. This kind of recognition was what I after, so I thought of working on a series of cars with similar colour schemes (white bodies, black wheels, gold trim and "Illustrious" decals). Progress on gaining recognition is slow, but I believe the end result, where I have a wall display full of these white cars will have its own form of impact. Where most customisers aim to wow with one single car, I aim to do with a collection.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I too feel inspired to one day start customizing and it's because of stumbling upon
      the Lamley blog. For right now I just collect. I like to put my art skills to work with my addiction to diecasts. I often see your work at Lamley. I remember seeing the 'Burnout Paradise' Charger/Road Runner piece you did that was displayed on the blog back in May. Great work! Thank you for your advice. Keep putting out more good stuff, as long as time permits.
      Take care!

      Delete