15 June 2013

[Photo] Reptilia Educational Facility

While it wasn't a big place, it was nice to get a chance to photograph animals up close. High Park's zoo wasn't much to be frank and reptiles aren't native to North America for the most part so I had to seize the opportunity to go visit this place up north in Vaughan, Ontario. For the most part, I did better than High Park in the sense that I successfully captured more photos that weren't heavily blurred due to my hands not staying still. Wanted to bring my tripod, but the shortest height it could go doesn't make it suitable. I may have to invest in a new tripod that has more telescopic joints.


Before we reached our location, we made a pit stop at Vaughan Mills - a gigantic mall one exit before Paramount Canada's Wonderland - for lunch. This giant piece sits in the center of the food court which is also located in the very center of the mall too.

I decided to upload some of the blurry shots just because this post would be nearly empty if I didn't. Click any of them for a larger resolution.








 The staff held a small show for those who wanted to learn more about reptiles, and the host featured three small animals which we were allowed to pet and feel. Here's my sister warming up to the boa.

And here's me being blown away by the incredibly pleasant feel of its belly and scales. While she is small, she's got muscle and I can feel it at work while she slithers over my palms.


This gecko - which I regret forgetting the name of - is incredibly soft. You'd figured the scaley surface would be rough, but rather it looks and feels like luxurious fabric. The small hook-like hair that helps it defy gravity can be felt when it crawls over your hands.





To end off the collection of photos, I decided to try at a few meme pictures for giggles.
This one goes out to Danny.


We made it in time for the King Cobra feeding. This guy is finishing up a feast on a large rat (considerably large in North America) and can still look for more to eat.



This Monitor was scratching at the glass door for a good two-minutes. It's clear he/she knows where the exit is. Beware!


Here are two live-feeding videos, unfortunately I couldn't get good angles because kids jumped straight up to the glass even though they were instructed to step back.








By the way, did you see the 5-legged crocodile? (he he he)

No comments:

Post a Comment