24 June 2013

[Customs] Illustrious Series 2

One thing's for sure. I need to get more alligator clips, pronto!

The second installment features different techniques used, but unfortunately it was overall dissatisfying. More practice needs to be done with applying decals as I keep tugging it unexpectedly. There's also the issue of painting the detailing smoothly. Testors enamel and Tamiya's acrylic work great. It saves me the trouble of giving special attention when using a clear coat as it tends to dissolve Sharpie ink if I overspray even just a little. Lastly, there's a call for more patience as the finish has once again caught too much debris due to wet coats being applied.

Lastly, new decals need to be worked on. I didn't think it through well enough and like any opportunities of improvement, I'm learning through my mistakes.





One of the only cars that turned out alright, though kind of bland.






I feel there's more opportunities to add more, but I'm simply unsure where to apply this. The gold stripe along the side is subtle, though it could be cleaner. Think it may be worth the extra trouble to lay down the masking tape despite painting with a toothpick.






The white/black/gold ratio is cool in this one, especially in the front. Only bad part is that the temporary clips used to hold the casting during the painting stage decided to make my life worse. Long story short, the clip didn't hold, casting fell, and got a handful of paint flake all over the roof and back. These "IS" decals were also extremely frustrating to work with.





Thought the gold trim on the front wouldn't look too too bad. but I guess it took this experience to finally open my eyes that the one thing I dislike about the entire casting is the front design. All along I've only observed its profile and contours on top. The amount of gold left me quite satisfied this time this time. The separation line being drawn in really brings out the sharpness of the car.





Best finish of them all, albeit a tad plain for an hill-climbing racer. Leaving the wheels as is was a choice I do not regret. I may just leave all cars labeled "Classic" with unpainted wheels to help distinguish the ages.


What's just about done for the next batch? Look forward to a Gallardo SL, Nissan S15 Silvia and a Saleen S7!

No comments:

Post a Comment