13 May 2013

[Tech] Recycling: New spray booth.

Here's a post about reusing old possessions.


Before the family chipped in for the Canon T3i, I used an early digital camera model to take pictures. We got it when digital cameras with auto-focus and auto-everything was all the rage which I'm guessing was between 2001-2003. Around the time I got into collecting PVC static figurines and Hot Wheels, I really wanted to take photos like a pro with set up lighting, backdrops and all that - minus a good camera and proper equipment. I was done with photographing my belongings on a messy desk beside a tape dispenser, keyboard and phone. It takes away from what I'm trying to show off so I decided it was time to step it up. I learned of lightboxes which were great as a starting kit for small-scale objects, so I made my own.

This was a WIP model. I figured cube dimensions would look nice, 
but was small for figurine photography. Needed to upgrade the width of the box.

Figurine in question is a 1/8th scale PVC sculpt of Black Gold Saw from the Black Rock Shooter series measuring 230mm in height.

With a simple swap of the top and bottom panels, the finished lightbox was complete.


Now there's a lesser chance a shot will capture the edge of the backdrop. The side was cut out and blocked in with tissue paper to diffuse a light source. Unfortunately, I still had no viable lighting so it was barely of use. The whole lightbox in general didn't turn out to be as useful as I had hoped strictly because of the reason mentioned just now.

What is good about this lightbox is that it is collapsible for quick compact storage. The back board holds up the entire structure and when it is removed, the box comes down into a flat size. 
Here is a short video clip showing how quickly it comes apart:







The thickness of the back board and the lightbox frame is roughly 1 inch each. 
That makes it easy to slide in tight gaps in a safe spot out of your way.

Great and all, except after a while it was never used again. Today, making improvements to the spray booth was on the to-do list. That's when I remembered this lightbox sitting closed up for over a year and thought it'd save me a heck of a lot of time if I just used this instead since it was already wider than the MAMA ramen box. 



RECYCLING TIME

With a few modifications made, I re-purposed an unused tool and addressed previous issues:

1) I needed more width space because the skewer/dog clips were a bit long to fit inside the current spray booth comfortably and as a result both the object and the spray can were positioned further away from box than I like. The 30" width was way bigger than needed so I had that cut down to 20". The same structure remains unchanged. The hinged side walls are still being used. The backboard obvious got a length adjustment as well.


2) Thanks to a crummy spray nozzle, paint would spit and get on the floor, so I added an extension tray that flips outward from the bottom panel. This will cover any area where the spray can isn't under the booth's roof. What's super cool about this is that this won't hinder the frame from closing thanks to the window cut-outs now.




3) Learning about wet coats of paint and dust the hard way, I needed a compartment to confine painted objects in a dust-free enclosure. I thought of making separate cubby-holes by reusing the past two spray booths, but instead thought of using the same booth itself which would eliminate the step of transporting the object. This also eliminates the chance of picking up dust during transportation. This lid is hinged to fold onto the top of the box when open. 

 I could spray multiple small items, won't need to move them and once I finished a coat, all I have to do is close the lid.

At this point I'm probably going to be in need of an exhaust fan. I already have access to computer fans and can have those installed in the back board easily since it's all foamcore making it easy to cut!


 
 How this once-lightbox was held together was never shown. The back panel has an extruded frame which sits on the inside dimension of the lightbox. This supports the ceiling and walls. To assemble it, it just simply slides in like a slot-fit and is fastened together with velcro; quick and reusable.

Most if not all supplies were purchased from a dollar store so this is a budget-saving project, which would explain the quick & dirty look.


 Take out the back panel, and the structure collapses instantly due to gravity.

See how that extension tray sits right in the middle of the bottom panel?




 

 It still sits flat like I said!









The cost to make this project assuming you have the tools but not the supplies would be about $6.00 for four 20"x30" foamcore sheets (such a sweet deal only at Dollarama within popular retailers in Canada) and a roll of packing tape. Scissors, cutting knives and hot glue can be obtained in the same store. Except a hot glue gun.. (pretty dumb to sell the glue but not the gun)


No comments:

Post a Comment