10 May 2013

[Tech] Proj. Controller Cosmetics: Complete.

(previous post on Project Controller Makeover)


This controller will be referred to as the:
TEAL PAD

Never again, generic brands!

Ultimately decided against the yellow thumbsticks, but wanted to use yellow somewhere and my second option were the big triggers. If there's one thing that gave me a headache, it's that the parts were molded the same way as the OEM, but I guess that's to avoid product copying infringements if that even applies. The L1/R1 trigger plungers were longer than normal, and the shell had different structural layout on the inside making it about 5 times more difficult and time-consuming for me to fit the original circuit board into what used to fit a differently-shaped board. Bigger problems arose later when the circle button as well as R1 wouldn't respond. It did before I closed the bottom half of the shell, so it wasn't a case of fried circuitry. Turns out that the signal was either already making contact that I couldn't input a second one or there was no structural support (since I cut it off earlier) to prevent the board from getting pushed back when pushing buttons. Ended up closing and reopening the controller around 6 or 7 times. Was not fun! Buttons are working now though some feel a tad squishy in that movement is being restricted. It might just be the fact I tightened the screws too much. Have you ever heard of someone "tuning" their controller? It seems that I can achieve my preferred stiffness of buttons if I actually loosen up the screws. Perhaps I'm just accustomed to the fact the OEM controller was never completely screwed on tight. Enough chatter, here are photos.





I'd have printed custom decals to place on the face buttons to indicate which button is which for the sake of aiding those who don't use a playstation controller, but figured it'll come off through wear.



I may have another colour scheme controller inbound in the future. We'll see how the joystick goes first though.


No comments:

Post a Comment