30 May 2013

[Customs] Summer's Near: Hello Open-Air Driving!

The Dream Cruisers series has finally set foot!

Sparkly enamel nail polish is the name of the game, and it is unexpectedly tougher than I imagined! I anticipated that the natural thickness of polish was going to be a pain in the rear, but what really got me is that the Testors enamel thinner, nail polish remover, and even rubbing alcohol weren't able to make it runnier. I imagine that once I find a solution, this whole arguably be the easiest series to create. So far, there's only one to show off. Another model is struggling quite a bit so there's a lot of work to be done on that one still. That aside, let's showcase the first car to introduce the series.




Like the Illustrious Series, I definitely need to create a backdrop setup exclusive to the series. A bright sunlight is a must, and an open-road diorama may be the final touch needed. Since I didn't have that, I settled on just a daylight bulb. Somehow it turned to a nostalgic theme.




 

The "paint" didn't turn out too smooth, but luckily the dark colour hides it really well. Covering a larger flat surface is tough with just the polish brush. Might need to fabricate my own brush for this.

Anyhow, being so delighted by the lighting and colours, I went and made a few wallpapers all of which are 1920x1080 px. You can view it's full resolution by right-clicking on them and selecting "View Image". Enjoy:





For those into studio photography, the settings were: 3.2s, F/14, ISO 100. It's the same white bristol board I've been using forever, but the light source was a 12V 20W bulb, specifically the Expressivo desk lamp by Ikea. I diffused the light with a sheet of plain-white cardstock, moved the lamp above the car by just over 1 foot, from left to right.



No comments:

Post a Comment