28 March 2013

[WIP] Getting Back on Track: Annihilator Street Rod

(Previous Annihilator post: Swapping in Engine)

With the Lamley Contest completed and with the long weekend giving me some free time to squeeze in, I got back to work on the Annihilator. Several things were done so let's go through it one at a time.



Sectioning the lower rear end 

If you recall from last time, the body has a boxier end, but The Annihilator doesn't. See below image.
 I ultimately decided it need to be done so I went at it with the cutting disk (which has shrunk dramatically now!)


With that removed corner, that means the the chassis plate is now visible and no longer flush with the body. Something had to be done.

 That rear section of the base has not been cut through entirely letting me bend that section up to match the slope of the edge. It's secure with hot glue and filled up the gap with putty.

With that the exhaust tips on the rear bumper of the Charger now have no proper connection to any of the piping indicated on the chassis plate so I cut out pieces of 1/16" brass tubing - the exact same material used to readjust axle lengths -
 and creating the impression of tubing there.



 That's what it looks like being flush with the body.

 Pretty cool!

All lined up. Just about.



Painting the Wheels

Should've, would've, could've did this a long time ago. Sand off all the chrome,scribbled in the spokes with a black marker (not a Sharpie's this time!). Silver's done with the good o' silver marker again.


Fitting Shutter Windows

The most forgotten piece has been dealt with. There was one positioning I made while messing around I liked but I forgot about it after I dabbed in the glue. Since the Annihilator has the shutters painted, I figured I may as well just fasten the window in and paint that all at once.


Some unforseen changes were made, but I believe I'm just about ready to start painting at this point since I can't think of any other body fabricating I need to do at this point.


Paint makes its way in later on, and so do the decals!

No comments:

Post a Comment