8 February 2013

[Photo] Low-Angle Shots and a Low Profile Car Don't Mix

I'm learned this the hard way. So I decided that my 2013 diecast collection would be documented with low-angle shots. Problem being is that it doesn't work too well with cars with their super sleek aerodynamic bodies. I didn't realize this because the car I was playing around with to determine this angle was a tall boxy car. This works great on those kinds of cars, not supercars and race cars, particularly race cars.

I got a bunch of lovely Kyoshos and I can't show them off beautifully, so I made up for it by doing a photoshoot with one. That day, I was having the most dreadful time shooting the Porsche 962C in particular because of how little I get to see of the car from the beyond ground-level angle, and thus I give you these:

 Darkest backdrop I could get without being too dark. The discoloured backdrop makes it look like a used stage. I love dark photos.


Same backdrop, but I brought the light lower. This gives more context to the subject and even the rim of the wheels are now identifiable.





 Getting a lit backdrop. Been itching to try this!
Doesn't it look like it's on still water? Well it's not. It's just a black glossy piece of acetate. Doesn't it look like I took from a window? Well I didn't. It's actually just a piece of translucent acrylic (not transparent), with flashlight 3 inches behind it. I could have edited the colours to make it look more like dawn, but I like the nostalgic yellowish tone more. 



There you have it. My first post on photography, a smaller hobby I don't focus too much time on. Stay tuned for more photos later. Comments and actual criticism is welcome. I'd like to improve my photography skills if I can. 

P.S. I don't remember what my settings were. Don't ask. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I'm really feeling these photos man.
    Everything about them is spot on in my opinion and you couldn't have picked a better car to experiment with.
    I'm too impatient to set up something for consistent pictures of my cars.

    ReplyDelete